Sunday, October 22, 2017

Data Collection: Early Childhood Attitudes and Beliefs about Coding



Data Collection: Early Childhood Teacher Attitudes about Coding

This week we were asked to get in some data collection experience during our action research class. For the majority of my graduate program beginning in the fall of 2016, I've been specifically focused on coding and robotics.

I decided to survey my coworkers about their own attitudes and beliefs on coding in the preschool classroom. I have thus far only surveyed those early childhood teachers in my current school building. I kept the survey brief and simple. Most of my coworkers know I've had this strong focus on robotics and coding, but I haven't asked them what they think about it personally. This gave them a chance to respond and reflect on their own feelings.

I found the responses and comments very fascinating. This is a great way to begin researching the implementation of something new in classrooms. School and district leaders can get a read on how teachers feel about implementing the innovations and go after those teachers who are already excited about the new possibilities. Those enthusiastic teachers can encourage others around them to join in. Research and data collection need to be a key component of educational research. 

I received a total of 21 responses.

Here are the results I collected using a Google Form I sent out:

Forms response chart. Question title: Do you know someone using robotics or coding in an early childhood classroom?. Number of responses: 21 responses.



Forms response chart. Question title: How interested, in a general sense, are you in coding or robotics in the early childhood classroom? . Number of responses: 21 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: How important do you think it is to teach Prek-12 students to code or program?. Number of responses: 21 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: How likely are you to include coding/programming/robotics in your early childhood classroom?. Number of responses: 21 responses.

At the end of the survey, I gave respondents a chance to leave comments. Here are the comments:

Additional Comments:3 responses
I use codepillar in my classroom
Coding and programming would be a beneficial 21st Century Learning skill for all students. To begin the learning at PreK is exciting and exceptional.
I think it is an awesome thing and something all kids should have the chance to at least try at some point so they can see if they enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment